Lineshaft Pacer Encoders
Interfacing a position encoder to an ORMEC ServoWire Drive provides vital position information to the motion control system.
This approach is simple, yet effective, because information from the "encoder axis" is available for use in the same way information is used from any "servo axis".
- Heavy Duty sealed bearings and NEMA 4X housing
- Flange Mount with integral coupling and servo mount configurations available
- Frequency Response 100 KHz to 500 KHz
- Optional 2X, 4X, 5X or 10X cycle interpolation
- Maximum Data Rate increases to match counts per revolution
- LED light source
Remote Encoders Uses
- Pacer Encoders measure real-time shaft position data of a machine axis. It is sent to other servo axes in the system for electronic gearing and/or cam profiling applications.
- Programmable limit switches on each ServoWire drive can be configured to turn on or off based on pacer encoder position.
- Position and velocity information is accessible from the application program for every encoder used with an XD-Indexer, SMLC or ORION® system.
- Remote Feedback Encoders are used to provide position feedback directly from the load under control, typically used in conjunction with velocity feedback from the servo motor shaft. It provides an additional level of precision in the control system.
ServoWire Drive Interface
The encoder interface is a partial servo axis interface, consisting of differentially received quadrature A and B channels and a reference Z-channel. Selecting the "encoder input" axis control mode disables servo drive alarm detection but still provides open wire detection to insure encoder position information integrity.
Optical Position Encoders
ORMEC's Model EDR-25 optical, incremental position encoders are ideal for a wide variety of rugged industrial motion applications where reliability is a prime concern.
The EDR-25 provides a 1/4 cycle wide gated zero reference output. Models with cycle interpolation have maximum resolutions up to 200,000 counts per shaft revolution.
- Resolution range: Discs can be provided with up to 5000 lines. This results in resolutions up to 20,000 counts per revolution with standard quadrature decoding, or to 200,000 counts per revolution with internal 10X cycle interpolation.
- Excitation voltages: 5 VDC @ 100mA maximum. No output load, 200 mA driving outputs
- Output format: Two outputs (A and B) in phase quadrature with a zero reference (Z) output
- Quadrature specification: 1 - 6000 CPR, 90° +/- 22.5° electrical at 100 kHz output; 6001 - 20,480 CPR, 90° +/- 36° electrical at 100 kHz output
- 1 - 6000 CPR, 180° +/-18° electrical at 100 kHz output; 6001 - 20,480 CPR, 180° +/- 36° electrical at 100 kHz output
- Rise & Fall times: 1 usec (maximum) into 1000 pf of load capacitance
- Zero Reference angular width: 1 +1/4 count channel cycle. Units provide a 1/4 cycle wide gated zero (Z) reference.
- Phase sense: Channel A leads Channel B for CCW rotation of the shaft as viewed from shaft end (face end) of the unit.
- Output Specifications: 20 mA max. per channel (meets RS422 at 5 VDC supply)
- Maximum Shaft loading (axial & radial: 80 lbs. max. Rated load of 20-40 lb.
- Shaft radial runout: 0.001" max. at center of shaft length
- Maximum Starting torque: 1 oz-in typical with IP64 seal or no seal; 3 oz-in typical with IP66 seal or no seal
- Shaft angular acceleration: 1 x 105 radians/sec² (maximum)
- Moment of inertia: 5.2 x 10-4 oz-in-sec²
- Bearing type: Precision ABEC ball bearing
- Minimum Bearing Life: 1.5 x 109 revolutions at rated shaft loading
- Shaft: 303 stainless
- Maximum shaft speed: 8000 RPM
- Weight: 11 oz. typical (25S); 14 oz. typical (25C)
Coupling Specifications (EDR-25C)
- Maximum Wind-up: 30 arc-seconds per oz-in
- Maximum Angular Misalignment: 5°
- Maximum Axial Play: +0.010 in
- Maximum Parallel Misalignment: 0.010 in
- Environmental Specifications
- Operating temperature range: 0 to +70C
- Storage temperature range: -25 to +90C
- Maximum Shock: 50G’s for 11 milliseconds duration
- Vibration: 20G at 58 Hz to 500 Hz
- Maximum Humidity: 98% R.H. (non-condensing)